Glass Recycling Update
From the Friendly Folks at Your Decatur Public Works Department
This week the City of Decatur began a new curbside recycling program for glass collection. As of July 1, all glass must be placed in a separate bin from your other recyclables and residents must provide their own bins for this. Overall, the rollout is going well. But we do have a few tips to share about glass collection that will help ensure the long-term success of the program.
If we missed your glass recyclables this week, we apologize for any inconvenience. Please make sure that it is properly prepared and not contaminated. We will collect your items on the next regularly scheduled service day.
- Your glass will likely be picked up at a different time than your other recyclables. If you see that your mixed recycling has been collected, this does not mean that your glass collection was missed.
- Have all trash, yard waste, and recycling placed at the curb by 7:30 am.
- Remove all lids and tops from glass containers and place them in your mixed recycling bin.
- Do not place any recyclables in plastic bags.
- Mixed recycling that contains glass cannot be collected.
We are grateful to everyone who has helped this new program roll out smoothly so that Decatur can continue to be a leader in environmental sustainability.
Thanks so much,
David Junger, Denisal McCalpine, Lena Stevens, Sean Woodson, Kelvin Davis
Decatur Public Works | 404-377-5571